Did you know this years Derby, is right around the corner? The Derby will take place May 3rd and 4th in Louisville Kentucky at the Churchill Downs. The Derby will bring a crowd of more than 150,000 people, unparalleled history and tradition.
Did You Know? Derby Facts!
- The First ever Derby took place in 1875.
- Each Horse is 3 or younger in order to compete.
- Only six women have ridden in the Derby.
- The Kentucky Derby trophy only weighs 3½ lbs.
- The Derby is also referred to as ‘The Run for the Roses.”
- The Derby takes place rain or shine.
- The Mint Julep is the signature drink of the Derby it consists of; bourbon, sugar, water, crushed ice, and fresh mint.
- The wearing of hats to the Derby has been said to begin with Col. Meriwether Lewis Clark Jr., who instituted a “full morning dress” code for the race. The idea stuck and even today women wear large, extravagant hats to the race.
- The race is approximately 2-3 minutes long. Last years winner won with a time of 2 minutes and 4 seconds.
- $225.7 Million was wagered on last years 2018 Derby.
Interested in heading to Kentucky? Contact your Aviation Consultant at 617-325-JETS or click below now to get an instant quote.