Pros vs. Cons of Landing a Private Jet at a Major Airport
Can a private jet land at a major airport? Sure, but you may want to determine the follow pros and cons before you make a final decision on where to land.
PROS to landing at a large commercial airport:
- Major airports are generally located near a major city. This means easier access in and out of the city for business or leisure.
- Greater options for car rentals and other services
- Separate facilities for general aviation planes, avoiding the passenger terminals
- Higher caliber of facilities for waiting on your flight or transportation from the airport
CONS to landing at a large commercial airport:
- Commercial airports will give priority landing to airlines.
- Commercial airports will institute flow-procedures, or ground holds, in anticipation of bad weather. Smaller local airports might not necessarily establish that same ground hold.
- All major airports will charge a landing fee/ handling fee. In the winter, fees for de-icing will be expensive and probably delay departure due to higher number of aircraft needing de-icing.
- Fuel charges tend to be more expensive
- Greater delays on the ground prior to take off – air traffic control can handle x number of movements at a time and integrating general aviation aircraft into the commercial flow can delay taxi and take off.
A few points to consider before arranging to land a private jet at a commercial airport. Magellan Jets Consultants are standing by to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have!